A tryst with death



He lay on his bed. The silhouette of a man on a buffalo, a lasso in his hand could be seen outside the window.

My time has not yet come, my Lord. You had promised me five full years of life. I still have four months left. I have so much more left to do here”, he yelled frantically, mustering together the last bit of his life.

Lord Yama had a calm, serene smile on his face as he materialized in front of the dying man.  “Do you remember my exact boon to you?"

 “Yes, my lord, every word of it. Finish all your unfinished business, son, you had said”, “Twenty seven are the stars that adorn the blue sky. And twenty seven times a hundred thousand minutes of life have your noble deeds earned you. Not a second more not a second less do I give you. Use every one of it wisely”.

Naresh gasped for breath and continued, “I did find it a bit strange that you gave me my boon in minutes.  But that did not matter. All I needed was 5 years and what you had given me amounted to a little more than that. Now you are cutting me short by 4 months.” His expression had changed from fear to righteous rage.

However his outburst did not seem to have had any effect whatsoever on the Lord of Death. In the same calm voice he continued to speak. “Did you notice anything new in your room when I gave you back your life?

Naresh was a bit perplexed by the question. Was the Lord of Death trying to change the topic? But no God, least of all the God of death come to claim your life, was to be messed with. So he answered, “Yes there was a small box in a corner of a room. It had some white shiny powder in it. I threw the stuff into the dustbin and to my surprise it filled itself again. I did not know what to do with it. So I just let it remain in a corner. What has that got to do with my four months?

 “Well my son, your remaining four months were in that box and you let it go waste.”. Seeing the confused expression on Naresh’s face he continued, “Well. That was an unlimited supply of Surf Excel Matic. If you had used it, that would have saved two hours of your time every single day of the last four years and a half, which would have amounted to four months. After all there is no such thing as a complete free lunch, eh? I expected you to have shown some initiative and reached out for at least those few months. You missed the opportunity” 

Naresh just hung his head in an air of resignation. Whoever named death a ‘grim’ reaper had not possibly been properly acquainted with death’s sense of humor. But then you can’t blame them either. Not too many people who acquainted closely with death lived to tell the tale.

This post has been posted for the Surf Excel Matic contest contest conducted jointly by Indiblogger and HUL. Click here to read the other entries or participate in the contest.

The picture has been taken from google images. No clue who owns it. If the owner requests with proper proof of ownership, I can take it down or give proper credits. I am earning nothing from my blog. So can't give any financial compensation.

23 comments:

  1. outstanding. have to read ur other posts now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks debajyoti. Do read my other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pity, that we waste time, and the lord of death appears. Very well driven the. Point to save time and enjoy every moment.
    This reminded me of an old lady who had gone to book ship ticket from America to Britain. The booking clerk said, lady why don't you catch a flight, it will save time. The lady said, son, I have been saving time since I was 16, now let me spend some of it, before I depart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mr. Pramod. I liked the story of the old woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a crisp story... Loved reading it... Well no one can cheat death!!! Yama is way too clever for us mere mortals!
    All the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe. Brilliantly put. Superb post. Bet of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, DS and Ranting Indian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! Crisp, creative and imaginative! That could have come only from a fabulous writer like you... Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the twist in the end, very subtly tongue in cheek :D

    All the best for the competition :)


    If you had a few minutes, could you read my entry into the competition? And if you like it, give it a vote? I'd be really grateful :)

    http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=90039

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderfully crafted post - Reminds me of Doctor Faustus... Surf did excel here... :)
    Loved it!
    All the best dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Story made me smile. Sometimes, I get too serious about time efficiency, and I stop enjoying the time spent doing chores because I get stressed out at anyone or anything that is slowing me down. Anyways, just an ironic twist I've experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot, Achyuth. Shall definitely read your post.

    Thanks a lot, Anukriti. I probably got the idea from Doctor Faustus too in the back of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Arti.

    Thanks, Stan. Good to see you back on my blog. Its some time since I have been on your blog too. These manual tasks are always stressful. I often try 3 different strategies, either make them more effecinet, multi task with more fun activity like reading or try to be with the moment and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant thought. Nice execution.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very creative..4 months less for using Surf excel..hats off. Best of Luck for contest

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!When i started reading the post never expected that it would have anything remotely to do with surf excel matic. That was a real twist to what seemed a gravely serious situation at first.

    Very creative and out of box idea as usual. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. omg! i could never guess poor naresh's plight was leading me to surf excel!
    very creatively thought out.

    and the line, "was lord of death trying to change topic?" made me laugh. :) super situational comedy

    goodluck with the contest

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the lovely comment, Sujatha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A different take, after all who other than the God of Death can give you a spare 2 hours everyday!

    ReplyDelete

Kind words of appreciation/feedback

For whom the bell tolls

A book of faces